A German man caused €150,000 of damage to his rented house while trying to repair an inflatable mattress. Being new in town, he had no furniture – and now he has no windows or doors.
The 41-year-old, who has not been named, had moved to the town of Diepholz in Lower Saxony and bought the self-inflatable air mattress as he had nothing to sleep on in his new home.
But the mattress was leaky, so he used an industrial strength puncture repair spray to try and fix it. This reacted with the inbuilt electric pump, causing a violent explosion which threw him across the room, ripped doors off their hinges and smashed windows.
Experts believe that heat from the electric motor ignited the gas in the tyre sealant. He had to be taken to hospital, where he was treated for minor cuts. A police spokesman said the man was lucky to escape with minor cuts and an injured wrist. Prosecutors are now deciding whether to take action against him for causing the explosion.